Monday, October 22, 2007

Potty Mouth

Forgive me in advance as todays topic may be considered just slightly past the bounds of polite discourse. With that vague warning in mind, sensitive folks may want to take their leave now.

lets set the stage...

In my best Andy Rooney voice: "why is it that some men feel compelled to engage in social interaction while using the men's restroom facilities?" Uh huh, thats right, I'm talkin' about talkin' while attending to the business "at hand" in the head. Why do some guys do this? Am I the only person that thinks this behavior is just bizarre? Personally, I don't get it... it's never made sense to me, but I see and hear it all the time at work.

For my part, I find public restrooms very unsociable places and my goal each and every time I use one is to get in and get out as fast as I can. Its the last place I want to have a conversation of any sort. I'm not in the least bit interested in making small talk, chewing the fat, having a confab, following up on this morning's teleconference, hearing about your maladies or your kid's amazing performance at last Saturday's game. And no matter what you may think -- I REALLY don't want to hear about your performance particularly as it relates to golf or your sexual conquests.

In my opinion the theme song for bathroom use should be the old country tune: "When You Say Nothing At All".

I want to be left alone. I don't want anyone to address me. I want to complete the task, wash my hands, and walk out without any kind of interaction with anyone. Once outside in the hallway -- heck, the bans are lifted and you can talk to me all you want. But, toilet talk is verboten!!

One other aspect to consider here. It may be that the men's restroom is the ultimate bastion of the glass ceiling... or, the porcelain ceiling as the case may be. Since members of the other gender aren't invited in, its possible to leave certain people at an information and networking disadvantage because they don't get a chance to hear the tidbits dropped in the loo. So, how does the playing field get leveled for everybody then? I think you know... it goes right along with my philosophy. As Nancy Reagan would tell us:

Just say no... or better yet:

Just say nothing at all.

No comments: